Hong Kong’s television industry brings the best and worst of times as Viu TV kicked off its service with more programming selection for consumers while Hong Kong’s Asia Television (ATV) broadcasting company goes off air.
The Asia Television (ATV) broadcasting company had faced a gradual decline in production quality and viewership and stopped airing as ATV failed to renew its’ license. The departure of ATV coincided with the emergence of PCCW’s ViuTV as it entered the market taking on existing broadcasters such as TVB and RTHK , which runs three free TV channels including new Internet-based TV stations.
Impact of smart devices Chinese Internet TV platform LeEco (formerly known as LeTv) has gained a strong position in the Hong Kong market by showcasing more than 10 channels and video-on-demand service through customised smartphone and smart TV devices. HKTV was considered the frontier in the television market three years ago when it launched the station through online platform.
The station won acclaim from the public as it aired high-quality drama series such as The Election and The Borderline. However, its reach was threatened by smartphones and smart TVs, making it difficult for HKTV to compete with the dominance of TVB. Due to the license setback, the company focused on the operation of an e-commerce platform which involved huge investments. HKTV continues to build a multimedia production centre in Tseung Kwan O in the hope that it can make a comeback to the TV market.
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 175 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 110 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 101 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- ABP News lights up the weekends with a slew of fresh programming 41 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020