BBC Urdu brings the so-called honour killing of women in the spotlight as the new series, Qatal o Ghairat (Murder and Honour), rolls out on TV, radio, online at bbcurdu.com and social media. For three weeks, BBC Urdu will deliver a comprehensive look at these killings, through special reports, animation, infographics and other digital tools as well as discussions at universities and colleges across Pakistan.
BBC Urdu Editor, Mehvish Hussain, says, “BBC Urdu has reported on so-called honour killings extensively – just as we do other issues that matter to our audience. With Qatal o Ghairat, we decided to bring together our journalistic and reporting strength to ask why these murders continue to be a widely accepted fact of life in the region. We hope very much that as many of our audience as possible will engage with us to answer this question.”
BBC Urdu reports, with insights from Pakistan’s leading legal and media experts, legislators and activists, from various locations in Pakistan. Khairpur, Sindh, where violence against women is endemic, to see if these murders are rooted in the rural culture, Landi Kotal, Federally Administered Tribal Areas, where the local Jirga system of government is believed to be protecting and justifying such killings.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 93 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 54 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 37 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020