Australia – Foxtel has green lit Picnic at Hanging Rock with FremantleMedia Australia to produce this new drama as a trailblazing re-imagining of the timeless Australian novel by Joan Lindsay.
Foxtel Chief Executive Officer Peter Tonagh announced the new drama commission during his keynote address at the 2016 ASTRA Conference in Sydney. Picnic at Hanging Rock is in pre-production as a 6 x 60 minute event drama which has secured production investment from Screen Australia. The drama will plunge viewers into the mysterious disappearances of three schoolgirls and their governess on Valentine’s Day 1900 and the far-reaching aftermath.
Foxtel Head of Drama Penny Win said “We are very proud to commission this exciting television event drama exclusively for Foxtel subscribers. Like many others, I am a fan of the 1975 Australian film which was pivotal in establishing the modern Australian film industry. This series, based on the classic novel, will take viewers on a new and in depth journey into this incredibly iconic Australian story.
“Our aim is to provide a rich and diverse slate of Australian drama for our viewers and Picnic at Hanging Rock is a story that we feel will intrigue and enthral a contemporary audience.”
FremantleMedia Australia Director of Drama Jo Porter said “We are delighted to be continuing our partnership with Foxtel, Screen Australia and our distributors FremantleMedia International to bring this iconic and timeless Australian classic story to the screen for a new generation.
“It is testament to the originality of author Joan Lindsay that her novel, charting the chilling mystery of the inexplicable disappearance of the three school girls and their teacher at Hanging Rock and the secrets this event lays bare in its wake, still feels just as fresh, unsettling and relevant today.
- Discovery, Inc. announces leadership changes in Asia Pacific 119 views | posted on August 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 30 July 75 views | posted on July 30, 2021
- Stay entertained with these new and exciting releases from Viu this August 65 views | posted on August 2, 2021
- Tata Sky Binge delivers aggregation across 11 streaming apps, powered by ThinkAnalytics 58 views | posted on July 30, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021