The numbers are now in, and it is clear that while viewers to conventional broadcast channels enjoyed the Rio Olympics, it was digital viewers, whether on ‘red button’- type options, or simply viewing via second screens was the champion.
NBC, which paid a massive $1.23 billion for its TV and digital rights, reported that some 2.25 billion web-streams were supplied via its dedicated – and multi-option – website. NBC probably got value for money despite its TV viewing numbers being the lowest since the 2004 Games in Athens, when the time difference between Eastern Europe and the US was much more severe.
Nielsen data shows an 18 percent decline on this year’s game compared to London. Nielsen says the Rio event averaged 25.4 million viewers over 17 nights, while Athens achieved 24.9 million per night average.
But factor in the 2.7 billion ‘live transmission’ minutes downloaded onto various second screen devices, and then add in the various replayed minutes and highlights and the total balloons to 3.3 billion minutes spread over 100 million unique users, a 29 per cent uplift on London.
IOC president Thomas Bach said: “Today, most (broadcasters) have their own digital platforms and we see that they’re using these to bring the public to their traditional channels. Digital feeds traditional TV and vice versa,” he said.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 93 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 54 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 37 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020