The new Fifty Fathoms and Keshet UK series The A Word aired for the first time on BBC One and held an average of 4.7 million viewers, which increased to 5 million in the final 15 minutes. The numbers were double that on ITV1 and Channel 4 and 1.2% above the average annual share for the slot. The show has since become the most the second most-watched on BBC iPlayer.
The impact of the premiere was also demonstrated through social media activity which revealed a nationwide conversation about viewers’ emotional response to the series. As a result “#theaword” became the number two trending term on Twitter in the UK over the course of the hour-long premiere.
The A Word has been selected as one of 12 high-end drama series to make their international debut in front of the world’s drama buyers at the inaugural MIPDrama Screenings on Sunday 3 April. It will be the first of all the dramas to debut at 10:10, at the JW Marriot Hotel in Cannes.
The A Word is written by the multiple BAFTA winner and Golden Globe nominee Peter Bowker (Marvellous, Blackpool) and directed by Oscar nominee and BAFTA winner Peter Cattaneo (The Full Monty Rev). It is based on the original Israeli drama Yellow Peppers by Keren Margalit who is also executive producer on the UK series.
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 129 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Period drama ‘Last Madame’ named Best Digital Fiction Series at the 25th Asian Television Awards 114 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Anchor-turned-actor Ivan Tai cast in RTM miniseries ‘A.I in Love’ with Janna Nick and Dini Shcatzmann 101 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- ‘The Witch of Kings Cross’ to be released worldwide on Amazon, iTunes, Vimeo, and GooglePlay on 9 February 77 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020