Airbus Defence and Space, the world’s number two in space technology, has designed and built two heat shields which will enable the Schiaparelli capsule of the ExoMars 2016 mission to withstand its descent through the Martian atmosphere and land on the Red Planet later this year.
The lander module was launched on 14 March from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan along with a Trace Gas Orbiter that will look for trace gases while in orbit around Mars.
The Schiaparelli front heat shield consists of a carbon sandwich structure built by Airbus Defence and Space’s Spanish teams that is then covered with 90 tiles of an insulating material called Norcoat Liège, at the company’s Bordeaux (France) site.
The ExoMars programme is a joint initiative by ESA and the Russian space agency. The 2016 mission includes the Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) and the Schiaparelli demonstrator, or EDM (Entry, Descent and Landing Demonstrator Module), which will land on the Red Planet to test the entry, descent and landing technologies that will be used in future Mars missions.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 321 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020