Seven leading Internet companies have formed the alliance for Open Media – an open-source project that will develop next-generation media formats, codecs and technologies in the public interest. The alliance’s founding members are Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, Mozilla and Netflix. The new alliance is committing its collective technology and expertise to meet growing Internet demand for top-quality video, audio, imagery and streaming across devices of all kinds and for users worldwide.
The alliance’s initial focus is to deliver a next-generation video format that is:
- Interoperable and open;
- Optimised for the web;
- Scalable to any modern device at any bandwidth;
- Designed with a low computational footprint and optimised for hardware;
- Capable of consistent, highest-quality, real-time video delivery; and
- Flexible for both commercial and non-commercial content, including user-generated content.
This initial project will create a new, open royalty-free video codec specification based on the contributions of members, along with binding specifications for media format, content encryption and adaptive streaming, thereby creating opportunities for next-generation media experiences.
“Customer expectations for media delivery continue to grow, and fulfilling their expectations requires the concerted energy of the entire ecosystem,” said Gabe Frost, the alliance for Open Media’s Executive Director. “The alliance for Open Media brings together the leading experts in the entire video stack to work together in pursuit of open, royalty-free and interoperable solutions for the next generation of video delivery.”
- Astro Shaw’s ‘Do[s]a’ and ‘Sembilan’ now available on Indonesia’s GoPlay app 54 views | posted on July 1, 2020
- GMA Unveils DTT Device ‘GMA Affordabox’ on Its 70th Anniversary 42 views | posted on June 29, 2020
- Nippon TV announces new board director and operating officer set to oversee its International Business Division 40 views | posted on June 29, 2020
- GMA Network launches new digital channel ‘Heart of Asia’ 39 views | posted on July 2, 2020