ABS-CBN scored another primetime hit on Philippine TV with its modern retelling of the classic love story between Angelo and Yna in the 2015 remake of the worldwide hit series Pangako Sa ’Yo (The Promise).
Fifteen years after its original version aired on ABS-CBN, Pangako Sa’Yo made a grand comeback on 25 May and hit a national TV rating of 34%, or more than double that of its rival programme, which only got 15%. Data from Kantar Media also showed that it was the most watched programme in the country that night.
Even before it started airing, the show’s official hashtag already became the top nationwide and worldwide topic on Twitter, garnering more than half a million tweets from 6pm to midnight.
Netizens praised the performances of the new Eduardo, Claudia, and Amor played respectively by some the country’s most sought-after actors Ian Veneracion, Angelica Panganiban, and Asian superstar Jodi Sta. Maria, who captivated global viewers with her role as Maya Dela Rosa in Be Careful with My Heart. The legions of fans of the show’s lead teen stars Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo also contributed to this uptrend as they went full force in tweeting about the programme even if their idols didn’t appear in the pilot episode yet.
Aside from a stellar cast, the new Pangako Sa’yo also offers a top calibre production with scenes shot on different grand locations just to give its audience an unforgettable viewing experience the same way the original version did years back.
Pangako Sa’Yo, directed by its original directors Rory Quintos, Olivia Lamasan, and original writer Dado Lumibao, revolves around the promise of true and never-ending love from two generations— the love story of Amor (Sta. Maria) and Eduardo (Veneracion), who were separated by Claudia (Panganiban), and the young couple brought together by destiny, Angelo (Padilla) and Yna (Bernardo).
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 177 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 111 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 101 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- ABP News lights up the weekends with a slew of fresh programming 41 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020