Singapore – The Media Development Authority (MDA) has fined StarHub Cable Vision (SCV) S$50,000 for a cable television disruption on 28 September 2013.
The incident, which started at around 12.40am, lasted for nearly five hours and is estimated to have affected about 170,000 SCV subscribers across various parts of Singapore. Those impacted experienced a complete signal loss for both paid and free-to-air TV channels which are accessed through their SCV cable points.
Services were progressively restored within five hours from the onset of the incident. Free to-air TV channels were restored by 1.35am, while other channels were fully restored by 5.30am.
Investigations revealed that the root cause of the service disruption was a power trip of a switchboard at SCV’s Ayer Rajah Headend. This switchboard supplied power to equipment used for transmitting cable TV signals. The initial electrical outage triggered different backup systems to kick-in but these systems either tripped due to the sudden power surge during the switchover, or were subsequently fully-drained of power. Their failure eventually resulted in the service disruption on 28 September 2013.
As a Nationwide Subscription Television Service Licensee, SCV must comply with licence conditions on Quality of Service (QoS), which requires pay-TV services to be provided at reasonable quality that meets public expectations and is satisfactory to the MDA.
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 70 views | posted on February 24, 2021
- Colors Kannada launches ‘BIGG BOSS Kannada’ Season 8 68 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- Fremantle acquires multi-territory production rights for ‘Good With Wood’ 53 views | posted on February 25, 2021
- VOOT launches interactivity for Colors fiction shows 37 views | posted on February 24, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020