Singapore – The Media Development Authority (MDA) has fined StarHub Cable Vision (SCV) S$50,000 for a cable television disruption on 28 September 2013.
The incident, which started at around 12.40am, lasted for nearly five hours and is estimated to have affected about 170,000 SCV subscribers across various parts of Singapore. Those impacted experienced a complete signal loss for both paid and free-to-air TV channels which are accessed through their SCV cable points.
Services were progressively restored within five hours from the onset of the incident. Free to-air TV channels were restored by 1.35am, while other channels were fully restored by 5.30am.
Investigations revealed that the root cause of the service disruption was a power trip of a switchboard at SCV’s Ayer Rajah Headend. This switchboard supplied power to equipment used for transmitting cable TV signals. The initial electrical outage triggered different backup systems to kick-in but these systems either tripped due to the sudden power surge during the switchover, or were subsequently fully-drained of power. Their failure eventually resulted in the service disruption on 28 September 2013.
As a Nationwide Subscription Television Service Licensee, SCV must comply with licence conditions on Quality of Service (QoS), which requires pay-TV services to be provided at reasonable quality that meets public expectations and is satisfactory to the MDA.
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 46 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 37 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- Stone Village, BlackBox Multimedia partner to Adapt Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ 31 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- Bilibili announces 33 new Chinese anime titles at ‘Made By Bilibili 2020-2021’ 30 views | posted on November 24, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020