Singapore – HBO Asia announced that production for the new HBO Asia Original Series, HALFWORLDS, begins this week. Developed in-house, the eight-part hour-long series is an Asian dark thriller starring an ensemble cast of leading Asian actors premiering exclusively on HBO (StarHub Ch 601) at the end of this year.
Joko Anwar – Director of HBO Asia Original Series HALFWORLDS
A fantastical tale of love, redemption and betrayal set in present day Jakarta, HALFWORLDS is about a young street artist who uncovers her true origins when she finds herself unwittingly caught in a battle between humans and demons. Renowned Indonesian filmmaker Joko Anwar (Kala; Ritual) makes his television debut as director of all eight episodes of the series.
“HALFWORLDS is a first of its kind series in Asia boasting an ensemble of acting, musical and artistic talents from the region,” said Jonathan Spink, CEO, HBO Asia. “We are proud to be collaborating with visionary director Joko Anwar, the perfect choice for this latest HBO Asia Original series.”
HALFWORLDS stars an ensemble cast of Asian actors including Indonesians Salvita Decorte in her breakout role, Arifin Putra (The Raid 2; Macabre), Reza Rahadian (Habibie & Ainun; Guru Bangsa: Tjokroaminoto), Aimee Saras (Musical Onrop), Adinia Wirasti (Tentang Dia; Laura & Marsha), Hannah Al-Rashid (Ritual; V/H/S/2); Tara Basro (Catatan (Harian) Si Boy; Pendekar Tongkat Emas), Alex Abbad (The Raid 2), Ario Bayu (Soekarno; HBO Asia’s Serangoon Road), and Verdi Solaiman (The Raid; Java Heat); as well as Singaporean Nathan Hartono (Musical Spring Awakening) and Malaysian Bront Palarae (Terbaik Dari Langit; Psiko: Si Pencuri Hati). Guest starring 8-year old Malaysian Puteri Balqis (Balqis), best actress winner of the 2014 Asian Television Awards.
Written by Collin Chang and Joko Anwar, HALFWORLDS is produced by HBO Asia with Infinite Studios and will be filmed at their soundstage and backlot in Batam as well as in Jakarta. This is HBO Asia’s fourth Original production after DEAD MINE (2012), SERANGOON ROAD (2013) and GRACE (2014).
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 48 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 40 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- Stone Village, BlackBox Multimedia partner to Adapt Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ 33 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- Bilibili announces 33 new Chinese anime titles at ‘Made By Bilibili 2020-2021’ 31 views | posted on November 24, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020