The first ever gigabit transmission via laser of imagery between the radar sensor on Sentinel-1A and Alphasat satellites, the latter built by Airbus Defence and Space, has taken place successfully. This advanced communication system based on the Laser Communication Terminal (LCT) technology is a main part of the European Space Agency’s (ESA) European Data Relay System (EDRS), also referred to as the SpaceDataHighway. It enables secure, high data rate communication between Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites or aerial platforms and Geostationary (GEO) satellites. The LCT technology has been developed by the Airbus Defence and Space subsidiary Tesat-Spacecom with the support of the German Aerospace Centre DLR-
ESA is currently demonstrating the long distance laser link with real content from the Sentinel-1 Earth observation satellite in LEO orbit via Alphasat communications satellite in GEO orbit to the ground. During the demonstration, data transfer reached 0.6 Gigabits per second of possible 1.8 Gigabits per second over 45,000km between sophisticated Laser Communication Terminals. The demonstration follows on successful LCT operation between two LEO satellites since 2008. With such high bandwidths possible, the SpaceDataHighway will significantly improve data latency and system reactivity, making truly global near-real-time communication services available for the first time.
The SpaceDataHighway is realised within a Private Public Partnership between ESA and Airbus Defence and Space. As the prime contractor, Airbus Defence and Space builds, owns, operates and co-finances the system infrastructure both on the ground and in space. The technology used by the Laser Communication Terminal has been developed in Germany and supported by the German Aerospace Center DLR based on funding by the Ministry of Economics.
“This is a major step in the proof of the concept. Once operational, the EDRS – SpaceDataHighway will move boundaries of space-based data communication significantly,” said Evert Dudok, Head of the Communications, Intelligence and Security (CIS) Business Line at Airbus Defence and Space. “Besides Copernicus, the SpaceDataHighway will also serve many commercial and military applications that require such unparalleled near-real-time, high bandwidth communication services.”
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 233 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Zee and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. announce new co-production partnership 91 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Anime titles from Medialink Group’s Ani-One library to start streaming on Mediacorp’s meWATCH platform 77 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- SynProNize and ATV take Turkish drama series ‘Hercai’ to Pakistan 49 views | posted on April 12, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020