Lusaka, Paris – Muvi TV, Zambia’s commercial broadcaster and one of Africa’s fastest-growing satellite TV platforms, is poised for a new phase of expansion. The company has renewed and expanded its satellite capacity requirements from Stellar, a German play-out centre and satellite uplink facility, that leases high-power capacity on the EUTELSAT 7B satellite operated by Eutelsat Communications (NYSE Euronext Paris: ETL) to broadcast Muvi TV to Zambia and neighbouring countries.
The additional capacity enables Muvi TV to double the range of quality channels broadcast via EUTELSAT 7B. From six channels launched in 2013, the platform now operates 12 channels, including popular Nigerian content, new Muvi-branded channels, as well as news, sports (including German Bundesliga matches), and innovative formats showing user-generated content.
The varied digital content is partially broadcast free-to-air (Africa TV, Emmanuel TV and Prism Africa), reaching across Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique, while the subscription channels are available to Zambian homes who sign up for a Muvi TV smartcard and decoder. Subscribers pay the affordable monthly fee through the mobile phone network by sending a text message.
With this new phase of expansion on EUTELSAT 7B, Muvi TV is delivering on its vision of enabling all homes in Zambia to benefit from the choice and quality of digital TV. Digital reception in Zambia was previously confined to viewers in Lusaka, Ndola and Livingstone who could access just one channel, Muvi TV. In addition to extending capacity and service agreements, Muvi TV plans a further expansion in second quarter 2015 using capacity booked on the EUTELSAT 7B satellite.
Stellar connects Muvi TV’s content via EUTELSAT 7B to its professional play-out facility in Germany. The content is then turned around and broadcast back to the sub-Saharan home market from the Stellar-owned teleport, also via EUTELSAT 7B.
- A+E Networks Korea’s first Korean drama series ‘Backstreet Rookie’ hits international popularity 9,538 views | posted on July 31, 2020
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 113 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 104 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 96 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020