Discovery Channel announces winners of First Time Filmmakers Singapore
– Yong Shu Ling
“This is the first time that we are launching FTFM in Singapore and we are excited to be able to bring Singapore’s stories to an international audience. The FTFM initiative is at the core of what we do; it reinforces our commitment to helping nurture local filmmaking talent and contributing to the industry, while providing our viewers with engaging stories and topical programming,” said Arjan Hoekstra, President and Managing Director, Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific.
14 films were shortlisted from all the entries received and the shortlisted participants were required to attend a one-day workshop and pitch to a panel of judges comprising senior representatives from DNAP, the Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA), and local production company Beach House Pictures, which has been appointed as the supervising producer for the initiative. The films were chosen based on the originality, quality and strength of the idea submitted and their relevance to the theme – The Singapore Story – which pays tribute to the enduring Singapore spirit, her people, innovations, culture and history.
First launched in Asia-Pacific in 2000, the FTFM initiative is an ongoing effort by Discovery Channel to support the documentary industry, provide opportunities for non-fiction filmmakers in the region, and showcase local stories of culture and people to the world. Within the industry, the FTFM initiative has already become one of the most prestigious and reputable competitions. Many first time filmmakers in Asia Pacific have realised their dreams of bringing their ideas to life through Discovery Channel’s FTFM project.
The FTFM initiative has already provided a showcase for the talents of filmmakers in Australia, United Kingdom, South Africa, Germany, Netherlands, South East Asia and China. These local filmmakers have received recognition on the international stage and their films have won several international awards.
- DreamWorks launches its brand-new virtual world, Dream Heroes 87 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- New Smithsonian Channel series ‘Dogs With Extraordinary Jobs’ features dogs working to make the world a better place 82 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- Cignal TV, TV5, Smart, and PLDT join forces to deliver multi-platform world-class coverage of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 79 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- NTV strikes deal with Walter Presents for ‘Murderous Fever’ 44 views | posted on June 14, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020