The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) led a delegation of 23 Singapore media companies in MIPCOM held in Cannes, marking Singapore’s 14th expedition to MIPCOM as one of the Asian exhibitors.
Compelling quality Asian stories for an International audience
- MIPCOM buyers looking to acquire quality content from Asia will find a diverse range from Singapore, with more than 530 hours of factual, drama, infotainment, lifestyle and kids content offered for international sale and distribution.
- Given a deep understanding of East-West sensibilities, Singapore media companies are well known for effectively infusing Asian flavour and perspective into stories that will appeal to an international audience.
- International broadcasters looking towards Asia for innovative stories with global appeal can also find original formats and content from Singapore.
- In addition, Singapore producers are choice partners for international media companies, well known for our strong capability in media services and top notch quality works.
- Grace, a four-part horror mini-series which is set to premiere on HBO Asia’s regional feed in October, is produced by HBO Asia and Singapore’s award winning production company Infocus Asia. The series explores Asian notions of family and obligation and takes an international approach towards the horror conventions of Asia. Blending aspects of Asian supernatural mythology and traditions in the context of a modern urban Asian environment, Grace tells the story about a man whose unfaithfulness delivers dark consequences for those closest to him. This follows HBO Asia’s success with its first original drama series Serangoon Road, produced in collaboration with Singapore-based Infinite Studios, Australia’s ABC TV and Great Western Entertainment.
- One example is Refinery Media’s homegrown format Supermodelme, a multi-platform reality series in which 12 models of Asian heritage compete for a chance to launch their career in the fashion industry. Now in its fifth season, the programme is the first English-language reality series format from Asia to be picked up by regional broadcaster DIVA Universal Asia. Supermodelme was awarded “Best Cross-Platform Content” at the Asian Television Awards 2012 and nominated for “Best Non-Fiction” at the International Digital Emmy Awards in 2013.
- Another noteworthy mention is One Animation’s 3D animated series, Oddbods that celebrates the fun, humour and quirkiness of everyday life through the eyes of seven adorable characters.
- Popular title Dinosaur Train (Season 1-3), co-produced by The Jim Henson Company and Singapore’s Sparky Animation, features a curious young Tyrannosaurus Rex named Buddy who takes the Dinosaur Train with his family to go on an adventure. The series is highly demanded in the international marketplace, and has aired in over 175 countries across the globe in partnership with major broadcasters, such as PBS (USA), TVO and TFO (Canada), Nickelodeon (UK), Disney Channel (Germany), France 5 (France), ABC TV and Nick Jr. (Australia), and Discovery Kids (Latin America).
Quality Singapore TV and animation Content debuts at MIPCOM
- 16 new television series, featuring Asia and Singapore-inspired stories, made their market debut at MIPCOM. These include a number of foreign language titles from new Singapore exhibitors.
Highlights include drama titles featuring Asian stories that revolve around universal themes of family ties and relationships:
- First-time exhibitor DV Studio brings 10 Malay language titles (with English subtitles), including telemovie Kasih Ibu, a story about a mother’s fight to be reunited with her children and husband who have been forcibly separated from her.
- Malay drama R & D by Shortman Films, on the marriage between two famous radio deejays Reza and Dyla, and their relationship with Reza’s quirky parents.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 92 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 53 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 36 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020