Amsterdam – Young viewers are driving next generation content services with their high expectations of personalised services, penchant for binge viewing and use of connected devices, according to new global research from Irdeto, the world leader in Multiscreen, Revenue Assurance and Media Protection solutions. The research revealed that roughly a third of American (36%) and UK (30%) consumers see personalised recommendations as either important or very important, however this rises to 45% for 18-34 year olds in the US and 55% among 18-24 year olds in the UK.
Live TV viewing habits are also drastically different in younger age groups with 58% of UK consumers and 49% of US consumers still watching the majority of TV shows live as they are broadcast on TV – yet these figures drop to 36% for 18-24 year olds in the UK and just 29% for US 18-34 year olds. It’s no coincidence that the same age groups who have high expectations of personalized services are heavier users of Internet TV services.
To further understand and analyze the research, Irdeto developed five distinct personas that consumers fit into in terms of their content viewing preferences and habits, detailed in the Irdeto Media Consumption 2014 infographic. The personas are:
- Media Minimalists: Conscious choice to minimise use of video
- TV Traditionalists: Perfectly happy with linear pay TV, the choice , quality of service and exclusive content
- Digital Dabblers: Not strongly interested in lots of content, but require full on-demand experience when they are
- Two-Fold Users: Use traditional and digital to view content – more focused on access rather than platform
- Media 3.0 Masters: Driven by a love of content and requirement for it to be 100% on demand
The research was commissioned by Irdeto and conducted among a representative sample of over 4,700 adults to understand and address consumer expectations and behavior around personalized recommendations, content viewing habits and connected devices. It uncovers trends in evolving viewing expectations and habits in the US, UK, Australia, Singapore, India and Indonesia.
- Colors Kannada launches ‘BIGG BOSS Kannada’ Season 8 86 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific announces leadership team 59 views | posted on March 1, 2021
- Flame Distribution to handle global sales of ‘Life in Colour With David Attenborough’ 54 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- Quintus Studios inks more factual acquisitions for its VOD channels 37 views | posted on February 26, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020