Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones launch new production house
London – Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones announced on July 28 the launch of House of Tomorrow, a new production house within Endemol UK.
House of Tomorrow will produce dramas, comedy series and feature films for the UK and international markets.
With Charlie as Creative Director and Annabel as Managing Director, the new company will build on the success of numerous award-winning productions that have been penned by Brooker and executive produced by Jones.
These include the Emmy and Rose D’or Award winning satirical drama series Black Mirror for Channel 4, which has sold in over 80 countries; Broadcast Comedy Award winning detective spoof A Touch of Cloth for Sky One, which has been picked up in more than 60 countries; BAFTA Award nominated thriller Dead Set for E4, sold in over 140 countries; and the Royal Television Society Award Winning “Wipe” programmes for the BBC.
House of Tomorrow already has projects in development for broadcasters in the UK and USA and further announcements are expected soon.
Charlie Brooker said, “The one thing the world doesn’t need is yet more entertainment, but unfortunately for the world that’s what we’re hell-bent on producing. We’ll produce fun in all its guises, whether that be the laugh-a-minute gaiety of Black Mirror, the show-stopping musical stylings of Weekly Wipe, or some hitherto-untested form of amusement that just about fits on a screen.”
Annabel Jones added, “It’s an exciting time for original drama and comedy drama at the moment. We’re hoping to build on the international success of Black Mirror and make some bold and distinctive drama that traumatises viewers here and across the Atlantic. As well as shows that Charlie has devised, we will be developing projects with both established and new writers so we don’t end up killing each other.”
Lucas Church, CEO of Endemol UK commented, “Charlie and Annabel’s partnership has already produced some of the best comedy and satire seen on British television and around the world. We’re thrilled to be backing them and can’t wait for more.”
Charlie Brooker is an award winning writer, producer and presenter whose career has spanned television, radio, print, and online media.
With earlier writing credits that included Brass Eye and The 11 O’Clock Show, Brooker was one of the founding Creative Directors of leading comedy producer Zeppotron, which became part of Endemol UK in 2000.
Since then he has presented numerous television shows, including Screenwipe, Gameswipe, Newswipe, Weekly Wipe and How TV Ruined Your Life for the BBC; and You Have Been Watching and 10 O’Clock Live for Channel 4.
He has collected three British Comedy Awards: Best Newcomer in 2009; Best Comedy Entertainment Show Award for Newswipe in 2011; and the award for Best Comedy Entertainment Personality in 2012.
His Newswipe series also won the 2009 Royal Television Society Award for Best Entertainment Programme as well as a 2010 BAFTA nomination for Best Entertainment Programme; whilst Screenwipe received a 2008 Royal Television Society Award for Digital Channel Programme. Charlie was also nominated for the 2014 BAFTA Award for Best Entertainment Performance for 10 O’Clock Live.
- Australia’s Nine Network, Taiwan’s Chunghwa Telecom set to broadcast Sonar’s eSports sci-fi series – ‘Interface’ 305 views | posted on October 16, 2020
- Star Stable Entertainment partners with animation studio Ferly for short-form series adaptation of ‘Mistfall’ 64 views | posted on October 16, 2020
- Netflix picks up Philippine adaptation of ‘Descendants of the Sun’ aired on GMA Network 54 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment announces its first original production on Thrill – ‘Model Family’ 50 views | posted on October 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020