Youku Tudou releases more than 20 unique programmes and drama series
Beijing – As part of an ongoing effort to offer its hundreds of millions of users unique entertainment, Youku Tudou Inc., China’s Internet television company, recently announced on June 16 the release of more than 20 programmes and drama series produced by its in-house production unit.
The unique content will be released throughout the second half of 2014 and will include reality shows, talk shows and drama series. Youku Tudou has made it of strategic importance to increase investment to in-house production. With 500 million users on both PC and mobile, Youku Tudou attracts more than 70 percent of Chinese online video viewers, according to recently released data from China Internet Network Information Center, or CNNIC.
The rollout of the new programming began earlier in June with the release of the Internet reality show Searching Divas, which garnered more than 10 million views and 10,000 comments within the first two days of its debut on June 6. The show, modelled after the popular Korean reality show Running Man, features contestants who compete against each other to complete challenging tasks and missions. Winners are able to meet their favourite Chinese celebrities.
Other releases include four talk shows, including Logical Thinking, a show featuring readings and discussions, and Macroview, a programme focusing on financial issues. Celebrity hosts include Liang Dong, a former TV personality, and Yuan Tengfei, a history teacher famous for his sometimes controversial, yet entertaining, lectures. The decision to bolster talk show programming was based on the extreme popularity of online talk shows Morning Call and Logical Thinking, which were released on Youku in 2013.
Other programming includes the release of Tiny Times, a drama series based on the box office hit film that centred on young, upwardly mobile Chinese and their lives in modern-day China. The Tiny Times drama series will premier on Youku in July and later have possible syndication on TV. Midnight Taxi, a Tudou original drama series co-produced by the award-winning Japanese director of Shinya Shokudo, will also be released.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 74 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 43 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 42 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 41 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020