Youku Tudou releases more than 20 unique programmes and drama series
Beijing – As part of an ongoing effort to offer its hundreds of millions of users unique entertainment, Youku Tudou Inc., China’s Internet television company, recently announced on June 16 the release of more than 20 programmes and drama series produced by its in-house production unit.
The unique content will be released throughout the second half of 2014 and will include reality shows, talk shows and drama series. Youku Tudou has made it of strategic importance to increase investment to in-house production. With 500 million users on both PC and mobile, Youku Tudou attracts more than 70 percent of Chinese online video viewers, according to recently released data from China Internet Network Information Center, or CNNIC.
The rollout of the new programming began earlier in June with the release of the Internet reality show Searching Divas, which garnered more than 10 million views and 10,000 comments within the first two days of its debut on June 6. The show, modelled after the popular Korean reality show Running Man, features contestants who compete against each other to complete challenging tasks and missions. Winners are able to meet their favourite Chinese celebrities.
Other releases include four talk shows, including Logical Thinking, a show featuring readings and discussions, and Macroview, a programme focusing on financial issues. Celebrity hosts include Liang Dong, a former TV personality, and Yuan Tengfei, a history teacher famous for his sometimes controversial, yet entertaining, lectures. The decision to bolster talk show programming was based on the extreme popularity of online talk shows Morning Call and Logical Thinking, which were released on Youku in 2013.
Other programming includes the release of Tiny Times, a drama series based on the box office hit film that centred on young, upwardly mobile Chinese and their lives in modern-day China. The Tiny Times drama series will premier on Youku in July and later have possible syndication on TV. Midnight Taxi, a Tudou original drama series co-produced by the award-winning Japanese director of Shinya Shokudo, will also be released.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 321 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020