“Who Do You Think You Are?” celebrates 10 years and its 100th episode
Britain’s best-loved family-history series, Who Do You Think You Are?, returns to BBC One this summer to celebrate its 10th birthday and 100th episode.
Over the past decade, the hugely popular genealogy show has told the moving and heartfelt stories behind 90 famous faces, tracing their ancestry, discovering family secrets and surprises with tales of poverty and prosperity, love and loss, war, immigration and struggle.
This year, the glittering line-up features 10 more well-loved stars: award-winning actress Julie Walters; comedian and actor Billy Connolly; star of British Bake OffMary Berry; acting legend Brian Blessed; actress Sheridan Smith; comedian/actor and the man behind the hugely successful Mrs Brown’s Boys, Brendan O’Carroll; actress Tamzin Outhwaite; presenter and DJ Reggie Yates; actor Martin Shaw; and model and actress Twiggy. From murder to bankruptcy, ice-cream selling to corset making, revolutionary land wars to syphilis, the new series reveals more extraordinary stories from our celebrities’ families.
To mark a decade of Who Do You Think You Are?, a one-hour special will accompany the new series, delving into the treasure trove of extraordinary TV moments that have marked the series. From Jeremy Paxman’s tears and JK Rowling’s joy, to the saints and the villains. From very large books to very white gloves, audiences remember the highlights and hear from the celebrities themselves about their Who Do You Think You Are? journeys.
Leanne Klein, CEO – Wall To Wall Television, said: “For 10 years, Who Do You Think You Are? has shone a light on British and world history through the ancestors of some of our most loved celebrities. The fact that it has inspired so many of us to look into our own family histories too is a sign of its enduring popularity.”
Maxine Watson, BBC Commissioning Editor, Documentaries, says: “Since its launch in 2004, audiences have savoured the often unexpected and emotional journeys into family history. As we celebrate 10 fantastic years in 2014, another 10 famous faces discover more about themselves through their past. The new series promises to continue to deliver BBC One audiences the laughter, tears and surprising revelations of family ancestry as only Who Do You Think You Are? can.”
Artists’ storylines featured – final running order to be finalised:
Julie’s journey takes her to Ireland, where she is on the trail of her radical great grandfather.
Brian wants to know where his adventuring spirit comes from – and discovers a real life Oliver Twist in his family tree.
Tamzin’s journey into her past follows the rags to riches story of her Italian great grandfather.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 88 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 48 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 44 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 33 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020