Beverly Hills, California – Netflix, Inc. will launch the film, This is Not a Ball, on June 13 in the U.S. Produced by Videocine, an affiliate of Grupo Televisa and directed by Academy nominee Vik Muniz and Juan Rendon, This is Not a Ball follows Brazilian artist and photographer Muniz as he explores the world’s passion for soccer and creates a major work of art made of 20,000 soccer balls. The production travelled through nine months and nine countries around the world, visiting cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, New York, Boston, Paris, Kyoto, Burma, Nuremberg in Germany, Sialkot in Pakistan, among others.
During his travel, Muniz met with a diverse group of people to discuss their love for the ball. Interviews included ordinary people, children from the slums of Rio, one of the great minds of science, astrophysicist Neil De Grasse Tyson, social activists who use soccer to promote social change, and outstanding soccer clubs from around the world like Football League of Amputees in Sierra Leone. Each of these narratives inspired contributions to his work of art.
“My work is already on exhibit in Vidigal in Rio de Janeiro and at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico. The photographs will be auctioned to benefit social causes during the World Cup in Brazil, and the amount collected will be donated to foundations in different cities, said Muniz. “On behalf of the production team, we are very honoured that our work will be available to millions of people around the world through Netflix and other networks.Â”
“This is Not a Ball is a groundbreaking story about the universal value of soccer and the true meaning of the ball through the lens of a very talented production team and amazing partners such as Televisa,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “As we continue to deliver a wide range of content on Netflix for everyone in the household, we believe that this documentary will be highly viewed and valued by our members.”
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020