Crunchyroll promotes Vince Shortino to EVP, Japan Channels
San Francisco – Crunchyroll, Inc. has announced the promotion of Vince Shortino to Executive Vice President, Japan Channels and the appointment of Arlen Marmel as Head of Marketing and Distribution. The company continues to build on the success of the global anime video service Crunchyroll and KDrama, the newly-launched Korean drama service, through internal promotions and key new hires.
Shortino has been key in building Crunchyroll’s anime business over his nearly six year tenure with the company. In his broadened role as EVP, Japan Channels, Shortino is responsible for expanding Crunchyroll’s mandate as the world’s premier service for Japanese content on-demand. Shortino leads Crunchyroll’s Tokyo office and with his team has licensed more than 500 anime, manga and Japanese TV drama titles. Shortino is an established digital media and technology executive with experience at Skype, 3Com and Panasonic.
Marmel joins the organisation from Hulu where, as Director, Customer Acquisition and Retention, during his four year tenure, oversaw Hulu Plus’ growth to more than five million paid subscribers. At Hulu, Marmel led strategy for organic and paid user acquisition, engagement and retention. Marmel has a background in media strategy and digital marketing.
“Vince has been crucial to our success at Crunchyroll as we’ve built the business. His skills will be key as we expand our Japan focus. Arlen has unique experience in building subscriber-led digital media businesses and is the perfect fit for our organisation as we expand our marketing efforts,” said Kun Gao, Founder and CEO. “In addition to filling these two key roles, we are also building out their respective organizations with strategic hires and promotions.”
Shortino has promoted two members of his team. Rita Wang has been promoted to VP, Japan Channels and Michelle Hwang has been promoted to Senior Director, eCommerce. Wang is based in Japan and has been with the company since 2012, focusing on Japanese content licensing. She has spent nearly 10 years in the Japanese content industry, having previously represented Mighty Media, one of Asia’s leading anime licensors.
- Banijay Rights new sales structure in LATAM, Canada, and German-speaking territories 37 views | posted on January 25, 2021
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 35 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- A+E Networks® continues commitment to women in front of and behind the camera with ‘Women in Global Entertainment (WGE): Power Profile’ at virtual NATPE 2021 34 views | posted on January 22, 2021
- Rising Asia keeps the region prolific with diverse content 33 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020