The South China Morning Post reports that Chinese authorities have ordered video streaming websites to stop showing four popular American TV shows, including The Big Bang Theory and The Good Wife, representatives from two sites said on April 27.
The move suggests government attention is intensifying on the online content-streaming industry, which is freer than state television and China’s cinemas to show foreign productions and other content and has stretched the boundaries of what can be seen in the country.
A spokeswoman for a leading online video site, Youku, said on Saturday it received an order from the media regulator to stop streaming the sitcom The Big Bang Theory, political and legal drama The Good Wife, crime drama NCIS and legal drama The Practice.
Of the shows listed, Youku only streams The Good Wife.
The order came from the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, which did not provide an explanation for the ban, said the Youku spokeswoman.
A senior manager with another content-streaming website, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said his company received an order last week to “clean their website”. The order, identical to the one sent to Youku and other companies, also called for the immediate removal of a Chinese sitcom produced by Sohu, one of the mainland’s largest internet firms.
Calls to the regulator rang unanswered on April 27, and Sohu did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Streaming sites regularly receive orders to remove Chinese or foreign TV programmes and movies due to violence, graphic sex or copyright infringement.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 208 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Zee and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. announce new co-production partnership 90 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Anime titles from Medialink Group’s Ani-One library to start streaming on Mediacorp’s meWATCH platform 75 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- SynProNize and ATV take Turkish drama series ‘Hercai’ to Pakistan 48 views | posted on April 12, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020