MIPTV: Treasure Box Japan to be showcased at MIPTV
In a cooperative effort, eight major Japanese broadcasters are set to release brand new, original TV formats on April 6 at the upcoming MIPTV in Cannes, France. The joint project Treasure Box Japan will showcase Japanese formats at MIPFormats, to be held prior to the opening of MIPTV. Under the title “Treasure Box Japan: World Premiere — Brand New Formats!” the pitches will be followed by a snack lunch and networking.
For decades, Japan’s unique creativity and innovation have inspired some of the world’s most famous TV formats. In order to strengthen its efforts to publicise this treasure trove of formats overseas, eight major Japanese broadcasters began the joint promotional project, Treasure Box Japan, in 2012. Member broadcasters are Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK), Nippon Television Network Corporation (Nippon TV), TV Asahi Corporation (TV Asahi), Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. (TBS), TV Tokyo Corporation (TV Tokyo), Fuji Television Network, Inc. (Fuji TV), Asahi Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation (YTV).
While Japanese broadcasters have been individually active in the international markets for over thirty years, never has there been an all-Japan cooperative effort until Treasure Box Japan. TBJ has actively promoted Japanese TV formats at many international TV markets since its inception. Of the formats released by broadcasters at MIPFormats last year, some of them are already licensed by broadcasters overseas, while others are now being negotiated or in development with international production companies.
On behalf of the Treasure Box Japan organising committee, Senior Corporate Officer of NHK Enterprises Fumio Narashima said, “Once again, we’re releasing eight of the latest Japanese formats. I’m confident that buyers and commissioning editors will find a format here that piques their interest.”
Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) and Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) have implemented a policy to actively promote Japanese content globally, and Treasure Box Japan marks the first-ever joint effort between the Japanese broadcasting industry and the Japanese government on the international stage. It is hoped that this continuous joint effort between the two entities will result in a greater awareness and larger distribution of Japanese content around the world.
Event: Japanese Formats Showcase (a part of MIPFormats) “Treasure Box Japan, World Premiere — Brand New Formats!”
Date: Sunday, April 6, 2014
Time: 12.35pm to 1.25pm
Venue: Auditorium A, Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France
- Hong Kong FILMART Online to open on 15 March 75 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Lee Seung-gi makes K-drama comeback with ‘Mouse’ to be aired on tvN 30 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 5 March 28 views | posted on March 2, 2021
- ABP Network achieves threefold growth in digital 24 views | posted on March 4, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020