Mike Hopkins, CEO of Hulu, released the following statement on Hulu Japan on February 27:
Today, I have an important announcement regarding the Hulu service in Japan. Hulu launched in Japan just under three years ago, a first-of-its-kind subscription video on demand service in the market. The Hulu service in Japan is now accessible across more than 90 million devices in the Japan market, including connected TVs and Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. And in those three years, the service has grown to include content from 50 partners, totaling more than 13,000 assets of TV dramas, movies and anime. Today our loyal fans in Japan enjoy unlimited access to over 1,000 premium feature films like Armageddon, Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire and The King’s Speech, and over 12,000 episodes from previous seasons of TV shows including 24, The Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl and The Walking Dead.
We have now reached a point in the growth of the business in Japan where we feel the best path forward is to sell the company to a strategic buyer. I’m announcing today that Hulu’s Japan business is to be acquired by Nippon Television Network Corporation (Nippon TV), who will assume the day-to-day operations and management of the business at the closing of the transaction.
Nippon TV is the leading television network in Japan, ranking #1 in average household viewer ratings in the past three years. As Japan’s first commercial terrestrial broadcaster to go on the air in 1953, Nippon TV marked its 60th year of broadcasting in 2013. From the beginning of our conversations, it was clear that Nippon TV understands the value of the first-of-its-kind service the Hulu team has built in Japan — we are very proud to have created a service that the local broadcast leader in Japan sees as a strong asset. I know that Nippon TV will be able to take Hulu in Japan to the next level.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 225 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Zee and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. announce new co-production partnership 91 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Anime titles from Medialink Group’s Ani-One library to start streaming on Mediacorp’s meWATCH platform 77 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- SynProNize and ATV take Turkish drama series ‘Hercai’ to Pakistan 49 views | posted on April 12, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020