Foxtel boss calls for more competition in sports rights bidding
According to the Herald Sun, Foxtel’s chief Richard Freudenstein said anti-siphoning regulations, which ensure key sporting events are broadcast on free-to-air TV, have hurt competition in the industry. The anti-siphoning law in Australia sets out a list of events that should be available free to the general public, including the Olympics, the Australian Open tennis, NRL and AFL games and cricket test matches played in Australia.
The report adds that Freudenstein said allowing Foxtel to compete for the rights to top sporting events would ensure more money for sporting codes, and that while anti-siphoning rules cannot be eliminated, the number of events on the list should decrease. The government should consider splitting FTA and pay-TV rights, he added.
Tags #AFL #anti-siphoning #Asian content #asian content news #asian entertainment news #asian media news #asian streaming apps #Australia #Australia Open #avod news #broadcaster news #Co-Productions #Content Distribution #content news #entertainment news #format licensing #format sales #Foxtel #k-drama news #media news #NFL #OTT news #pay-tv news #people and appointments #Richard Freudenstein
- iQiyi deepens international partnership with Dolby 84 views | posted on July 27, 2021
- 5 Asian romance dramas on iQiyi that will make you love ‘love’ again 55 views | posted on July 26, 2021
- The Q announces a lineup of new-age comedy series 52 views | posted on July 29, 2021
- ShemarooMe expands worldwide reach on connected televisions via partnership with ZEASN 51 views | posted on July 29, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021