FIC acquires Disney Media Distribution content for Asia
Hong Kong, Taiwan, Southeast Asia – FOX International Channels (FIC) announced that it has signed a major acquisition deal with Disney Media Distribution (DMD) to bring their top series to the region.
FIC has acquired the exclusive first-window pay-TV rights in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Southeast Asia for some of DMD’s most popular series. These include Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which got off to an impressive start in the U.S., premiering as television’s highest-rated new drama in nearly four years, said FIC. The series will air on FOX in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines and on STAR Movies in Taiwan, bringing the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the small screen for the first time.
The acquisition of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for FOX builds on the current output deal already in place between FIC and DMD which grants FIC the exclusive first window pay-TV rights for Marvel’s live action features on FOX Movies Premium, the network’s leading Hollywood movies channel. This includes the long-awaited Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.
In addition to Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., FIC has also acquired Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, a spin-off of the popular fantasy-drama series Once Upon a Time created by the writers of Lost; Trophy Wife, a sitcom starring Hollywood actress Malin Åkerman; as well as the upcoming crime series Killer Women. These series will air on Star World in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Southeast Asia including the Philippines.
Joon Lee, Executive Vice President of Content and Communications, Asia Pacific and the Middle East at FOX International Channels said, “The acquisition of these great shows builds on our strength as the leading pay-TV network in the region. Through our close partnership with DMD, we are able to present our viewers with more of what they love, such as the hugely successful Marvel live action series and movies, along with a wide variety of other top-rated television programmes.”
Amit Malhotra, VP, Program Distribution, Disney Media Distribution, Asia Pacific said, “ We are pleased to continue our long relationship with FIC which allows us to bring the best of U.S. TV to consumers here in Asia with programmes from Disney, ABC and Marvel. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the first live action series from Marvel and we are extremely excited to bring it to consumers via FIC’s platforms in the region.”
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One 638 views | posted on January 16, 2021
- TechStorm kickstarts 2021 with a bang as it launches on Malaysia’s latest direct-to-home platform Sirius TV 404 views | posted on January 11, 2021
- Bidya Sinha Mim and Pritom Hasan starrer ZEE5 Original ‘WTFry’ premieres on ZEE5 79 views | posted on January 11, 2021
- ZEASN and Line TV partner to bring trending content to smart TVs 77 views | posted on January 11, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Producer Alan Eucharis Choo by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 11, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020