AMC Networks to acquire Liberty Global’s Chellomedia
New York, New York – AMC Networks Inc has announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire substantially all of Chellomedia, the international content division of Liberty Global for €750 million (approximately US$1.035 billion). The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2014.
The acquisition provides AMC Networks with an array of television channels that are distributed to more than 390 million households in 138 countries. The channels span a range of genres including movie and entertainment networks, providing long-range opportunities for AMC Networks to distribute its original programming from AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and WE tv globally.
The acquisition builds on the company’s existing international programming business, AMC/ Sundance Channel Global, which has experienced impressive growth over the past five years and will continue to deliver AMC Networks’ content to its global distribution partners.
“Chellomedia has developed a remarkable portfolio of popular channels that reach hundreds of millions around the world. As AMC Networks has expanded internationally, we have had a great desire to do something we consider fundamentally strategic, which is to take our content and put it on channels we own. This acquisition allows us to secure a large, global platform on which to distribute our increasingly successful original programming through a collection of strong, well-established and well-managed assets worldwide,” said Josh Sapan, President and CEO of AMC Networks. “Together, we can grow these assets and make them even more popular and valuable around the world.”
- Hong Kong FILMART Online to open on 15 March 75 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific announces leadership team 74 views | posted on March 1, 2021
- Cottonwood Media to launch production of the premium period live-action kids’ series ‘Theodosia’ 39 views | posted on March 1, 2021
- Lee Seung-gi makes K-drama comeback with ‘Mouse’ to be aired on tvN 30 views | posted on March 3, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020