DHX Media acquires “Teletubbies” owner Ragdoll Worldwide
Halifax, Canada – DHX Media Ltd., an independent creator, producer, distributor and licensor of children’s entertainment content, has announced its acquisition of Ragdoll Worldwide Ltd. from BBC Worldwide and a group including the founder of Ragdoll, Anne Wood, for GBP 17.4 million. DHX Media expects the transaction to be accretive to net earnings per share for fiscal 2014.
Under the agreement, DHX Media obtains 12 series, including UK series The Adventures of Abney & Teal, BAFTA-winning Dipdap and Brum, in addition to 365 episodes of Teletubbies, 52 episodes of Teletubbies Everywhere and 100 episodes of In the Night Garden. Ragdoll Worldwide’s flagship properties Teletubbies and In the Night Garden have achieved significant commercial success since inception through strong broadcast and licensing programmes. Teletubbies has aired in over 120 countries and its top five postings on YouTube have garnered a cumulative 286,000,000 views.
Michael Donovan, CEO of DHX Media, said: “Teletubbies and In the Night Garden are worldwide phenomena. These globally-recognised brands will be highly complementary to the DHX Media library, which is now one of the largest independent libraries of children’s TV content in the world. As a leading supplier to subscription video on-demand (“SVOD”) services worldwide, and as an operator of our own SVOD, we are uniquely positioned to continue to develop these evergreen children’s properties in exciting new ways and we also look to maintain a continuing link with Anne Wood, one of the most experienced and passionate producers in the business.”
Ragdoll Worldwide was established as a joint venture in 2006 between BBC Worldwide, BBC’s commercial arm, and Anne Wood’s production company, Ragdoll Ltd.
- The Asia TV Forum & Market and ScreenSingapore officially opens its virtual doors on 1 December 97 views | posted on December 1, 2020
- Viddsee is empowering Asian storytellers through meaningful content 79 views | posted on December 2, 2020
- TechStorm makes landmark debut in Taiwan with Taiwan’s Portico Media and ONLINE MEDIA’s 4gTV 66 views | posted on December 3, 2020
- Astro presents compelling vernacular content for December 49 views | posted on December 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020