Massive upsides to be expected for Asian satellite sector
Singapore – The annual CASBAA Satellite Industry Forum concluded June 18 on a strong note as delegates agreed that growth opportunities for the sector in Asia remained emphatically positive.
Addressing nearly 250 delegates, speakers and media, Michel de Rosen, CEO & Board Member of Eutelsat, illustrated the potential of the satellite industry in Asia Pacific thanks to the region’s high population growth, incomplete terrestrial infrastructure and strong GDP prospects.
M. de Rosen added that satellite services have an assured future because of their cost-effectiveness as an unrivaled platform in terms of distribution costs per channel per home and in the ability to deliver quality TV with the bandwidth to handle HD signals – especially ultra-high definition TV. He noted that 90% of his company’s revenues in Europe are generated by video, and that Asia should be heading in the same direction.
However, Barry Matsumori, SVP, Commercial Sales & Business Development, SpaceX pointed out that with global mobile data traffic forecast to surpass 10 exabytes (1018 bytes) per month in 2016, according to a recent Cisco report, capacity will still not meet demand.
Terry Bleakley, Regional VP, Asia Pacific Sales at Intelsat acknowledged that ethnic DTH and the globalisation of Asian content are major drivers for the growth of TV in Asia while the migration from SD to HD is just one of the reasons for increased data demand.
To help solve the upcoming data crunch issue, Intelsat recently announced its “Epic” satellite solution, a high-performance, high throughput satellite combining spectrum rights in the C-, Ku- and Ka-bands to increase capacity by as much as ten-fold. Featuring switchable bands, frequency reuse benefits and backwards compatibility, Epic has been touted as “a game changer” that will ultimately lower cost per byte.
- Quintus acquires factual titles for its VOD channels Free Documentary and Free Documentary Nature 58 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Watch features and short films for free at the inaugural True Colors Film Festival 51 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- all3media international announces pre-sales to five continents for new Russell T. Davies drama ‘It’s A Sin’ 49 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 45 views | posted on November 23, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020