When Singapore Telecommunications Ltd (SingTel) officially announced November 2006 that it had submitted a bid for the broadcast rights to the English Premier League (EPL) matches from August 2007 to May 2010, it was assumed optimism was high in the SingTel camp. The statement from director corporate communications Peter Heng that, “Our intention is to offer Pay TV services to deliver High Definition content over SingTel’s telecommunications network,” was interpreted as a show of the telco’s confidence in its bid for the popular EPL soccer -and that property’s potential for their new pay-TV service. So the announcement a fortnight later, that rival telco StarHub’s bid for the exclusive broadcast, mobile and broadband rights had been successful,must have been more than a little disappointing for SingTel.
“While we were not successful in obtaining the rights to EPL, our plan to offer IPTV remains unchanged, subject to obtaining our licence from MDA,” said SingTel spokesperson Tricia Lee.
The Rights Stuff
- Toonz Media Group joins forces with Ferly for ‘Kingdom of None’ 67 views | posted on June 8, 2021
- Han Ji-hyun stars in the popular k-drama ‘The Penthouse 3: War in Life’ 63 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- Firstlight Media names Jim Vinh to lead Asia-Pacific sales 61 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- NBC Olympics selects its audio consoles provider for production of Olympic Games in Tokyo 51 views | posted on June 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020