Over the last 7-8 years, we have seen many more independent TV content production companies, providing content, and production services to both local and international broadcasters. When I first started, we are all contractors or service providers, and now, we are seeing efforts to develop ourselves as content creators – but yet not content owners. Because of the government’s efforts to engage international broadcasters like Discovery Channel, National Geographic, MTV to set up their headquarters here in Singapore, over time, it has helped to provide opportunities for our local independent TV producer to work with them, and to gain experience,and develop capabilities to create content of higher standard. This increase is largely due to MediaCorp’s streamlining. As a result,many (former) employees are now setting up their own independent production houses, to take advantage of the increased vibrancy, and activities of the media sector. There are also more graduates from media related courses tapping into themany opportunities provided by the government, in terms of funding and schemes for the media sector.
Tony Chow, President, AIPRO
MediaCorp is increasing efforts to engage the local independents to generate content for the channels,but still on a very small scale. There is always demand for higher quality content, and for independent TV production companies, it is never along term sustainability strategy to just be a service provider or contractor.Independents, in comparison to the broadcaster, must be more innovative and creative in understanding market needs, and commercial consumption of the viewing audiences.
Helping independents to help themselves
- Toonz Media Group joins forces with Ferly for ‘Kingdom of None’ 69 views | posted on June 8, 2021
- Han Ji-hyun stars in the popular k-drama ‘The Penthouse 3: War in Life’ 63 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- Firstlight Media names Jim Vinh to lead Asia-Pacific sales 61 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- NBC Olympics selects its audio consoles provider for production of Olympic Games in Tokyo 52 views | posted on June 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020