Astro retained its position as the top destination for Raya and Ramadan entertainment, with 94% of the total Malay TV audience who watched Astro Malay channels during the Raya period of 12 to 26 May 2021.
The pandemic may have put a halt to gatherings, but Astro continued to entertain the audience with its ‘Buka Lembaran Baharu’ festive theme by offering over 370 Ramadan and Raya (RaRa) shows across multi-platforms.
On-demand viewing of RaRa content grew exponentially, with close to 7mn titles streamed on Astro Box and Astro GO, a 518% increase from a year earlier, as viewers binge-watch and catch up on their favourite shows. Meanwhile, mobile viewing via Astro GO continued to gain traction with 65k new users throughout the festive period.
Hit RaRa shows
- Rindu Awak Separuh Nyawa recorded the highest viewership with TV viewership of 2.5mn to emerge as Malaysia’s No. 1 drama and 4.8mn on-demand episodes streamed on Astro Box and Astro GO
- Projek: Anchor SPM resonated with younger digital natives with bold and edgy storytelling with TV viewership of 616k, 1.1mn episodes streamed, 123mn views on TikTok and a total social media reach of 139mn
- Sepahtu Reunion is still the No.1 comedy show, where the ‘AL Raya’ episodes registered TV viewership of 870k with 2mn episodes streamed; while the ‘AL Puasa’ episodes pulled in TV viewership of 858k and 390k episodes streamed
- Mega Raya Ria, Astro live Raya programme, entertained viewers from the eve until the fourth day of Raya. It garnered TV viewership of close to 610k
Astro Raya greetings and serving the community
- Singkap Sebalik Tingkap, Astro Raya TVC, captivated audience with its heartwarming story. It registered 4.8mn digital views and was among the top 10 winners in MARKETING Magazine’s Experts’ Choice of Top Raya TVCs in Malaysia
- Astro collaborated with McDelivery, Berbakti to extend love to asnaf families and the country’s frontliners by leveraging on Astro on-air talent
- Astro radio announcers and McDelivery riders sent McDonald’s buka puasa meals, daily essentials and cash donations to 10 asnaf families under the Ziarah Ramadan programme organised by Pusat Pungutan Zakat-Majlis Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan
- Singer-cum-host, Alif Satar and McDelivery riders delivered meals to 1,000 frontliners at Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontinjen Kuala Lumpur and Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya to thank them for keeping Malaysians safe