Tokyo Broadcasting System Group and CJ ENM announce strategic alliance
Tokyo Broadcasting System Group (TBS) and South Korean entertainment giant CJ ENM have announced a strategic alliance to include joint production of content. The agreement will accelerate the expansion of TBS’s content offerings for the global market and its shift toward digital content.
South Korea’s largest content company, CJ ENM is a leading player in the entertainment industry, engaged in broadcasting, movies, music, live performances, animation, and video streaming services, and positions itself as the world’s leading lifestyle creator. The company acted as investor and distributor for the movie Parasite that won the Palme d’Or Award, the highest award at the Cannes International Film Festival, and four Academy Awards including Best Picture. In addition, CJ ENM Group production companies have taken first place among the Top 10 shows on Netflix in 2020 for Crash Landing on You, another top ten finisher Psycho But it’s Okay, and have produced Signal and many other popular series that have been remade in Japan, including Misaeng, Remember and Voice. The high quality of the Group’s content is broadly recognized in the global market.
Going forward, in collaboration with talented creators selected by the TBS Group, the two companies aim to develop and produce content for dramas, variety shows, movies, and other content that targets not only Japan and South Korea but also the global market. The partners will also combine strengths in working together on live entertainment including music and theatre, as well as anime and comics. In addition, plans call for a diverse range of exchanges among creators.
TBS Television Senior Managing Director Tatsuo Sugai commented, “TBS Holdings aims to grow through entry and expansion into new global markets. Leveraging TBS Group creative talent and CJ ENM’s proven competitive strengths, we expect that the partnership will achieve great new synergies in the production of global content.”
CJ ENM Vice President Choi Jin-hee said, “This agreement brings together the production capabilities of the two leading content companies in South Korea and Japan with the shared ambition of creating content for the global market. Working closely with our global content partners, CJ ENM will continue to deliver new content to global markets.
- Discovery, Inc. announces leadership changes in Asia Pacific 124 views | posted on August 3, 2021
- Stay entertained with these new and exciting releases from Viu this August 73 views | posted on August 2, 2021
- iQiyi to simulcast streaming ‘Girls Planet 999’ with Korea on 6 August 55 views | posted on August 5, 2021
- ‘Make a Wish’ from iQiyi’s Sweet On collection becomes a hit with its lovely human-cat couple 50 views | posted on August 3, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021