Keshet International picks up the drama series ‘The Women’s Balcony’ for international distribution
Keshet International (KI) has picked up Pie Films’ The Women’s Balcony (Ismach Hatani), a touching eight-part drama that recently premiered strongly on Keshet 12.
Based on the 2016 hit Israeli film of the same name, The Women’s Balcony (8×40’) revisits the close-knit neighbourhood of Jerusalem’s Bukharim Quarter. Now the quiet, warm-hearted community is threatened when a face from the past returns, jeopardising the locals’ way of life. Meanwhile, five women at the community’s heart each find themselves at a personal crossroads, as health, finance, political principles and grief mark the start of the next chapters of their lives.
Starring Tsahi Levi (Line in the Sand, Fauda, The Grave) alongside the original cast – including Orna Banai, Einat Saruf, Itzik Cohen and Herzl Tobey, The Women’s Balcony captivated audiences, securing an average viewing share of 26.9% with a 17% TVR rating (+8% on slot) across its eight-week debut on Keshet 12, making it Israel’s second most-watched drama since 2015 (after Line in the Sand).
Described by Israel Today as “religious feminism received with love”, the warm-hearted series is written by Shlomit Nehama and produced by Pie Films’ award-winning producers Osnat Handelsman Keren and Talia Kleinhendler, who recently completed production on Maggie Gyllenhaal’s directorial debut The Lost Daughter starring Olivia Colman, Jessie Buckley, Dakota Johnson and Ed Harris.
Karni Ziv, Head of Drama and Comedy at Keshet Broadcasting says, “Following its box office success here and abroad, and having seen the way audiences fell in love with the women portrayed so warmly and authentically by Pie Films, ordering a series to explore what’s next for this wonderfully tight-knit community made complete sense. The time is right for a drama showing women taking control and building a warm loving community that hugs you when you need it!”
Keren Shahar, COO and President of Keshet International adds, “We love this series because it shows another side of Israeli culture – a typically moderate religious close-knit community in Jerusalem – and captivates viewers with the compassion, respect and love its characters display for each other throughout. Watching this series leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feel-good feeling – it’s could almost be an Israeli My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which in my opinion makes it the perfect TV drama for now!”
The Women’s Balcony (Ismach Hatani) is the second original drama to premiere on Keshet 12 in 2021, and closely follows the success of Koda Communications’ crime drama Line in the Sand (HaShotrim). Having secured an average share and rating of 27.2% and 18.8% TVR respectively across its debut, Line in the Sand is Israel’s most-watched TV drama since 2015. It has recently been shortlisted for a Golden Nymph Award at the upcoming 60th Monte-Carlo TV Festival.
- Toonz Media Group joins forces with Ferly for ‘Kingdom of None’ 67 views | posted on June 8, 2021
- Han Ji-hyun stars in the popular k-drama ‘The Penthouse 3: War in Life’ 63 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- Firstlight Media names Jim Vinh to lead Asia-Pacific sales 61 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- NBC Olympics selects its audio consoles provider for production of Olympic Games in Tokyo 52 views | posted on June 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020