Youku and Irdeto bring secure premium content to consumers in China
BEIJING – Youku, the Alibaba-owned online video streaming service provider, has selected Irdeto Rights for ChinaDRM to safeguard premium content delivery. Youku will also deploy Irdeto TraceMark for mobile, PC and OTT VOD for its paid subscription service to detect and combat content theft and redistribution piracy.
As one of China’s largest online streaming video platforms with over 580 million unique subscribers, Youku recognizes the importance of securely providing premium content to its customers. With Irdeto as a strategic security partner, Youku aims to securely deliver early release and premium OTT content to its customers.
OTT subscriptions in China are booming. In 2018, such services are expected to draw over 229 million viewers and are forecasted to triple in size within the next five years. In addition, mobile, PC and OTT set-top box related spending grew 160% in 2017 due to increasing affordability, faster internet connection speeds and increasing demand for premium content from a new generation of affluent consumers.
In order to take advantage of this explosive growth, Youku is continually innovating its premium offerings and secure those investments to maintain a competitive edge.
“As demand for mobile, PC and OTT STBs continues to grow, it is crucial for Youku to deploy the right mix of content protection solutions to enhance our customers’ viewing experience,” said Xin Shi, Head of Engineering, Youku. “With Irdeto, Youku is able to accelerate the release of new content in China, including premium 4K UHD content, while detecting and fighting against redistribution piracy. By meeting the standards set by Hollywood studios, Irdeto’s solutions secure premium video delivery with ChinaDRM so that we are able to focus on expanding our market potential.”
Bengt Jonsson, Senior Vice President, Sales & Services, Irdeto, said: “Our partnership with Youku helps them provide a high-quality viewing experience for their customers while also meeting the rigorous ChinaDRM standards. Looking ahead, we are excited to explore new opportunities in the market and bring multi-DRM support to content operators as consumers continue to demand high-quality multiscreen experiences.”
Irdeto Rights for ChinaDRM is the first government-approved DRM solution in China that is fully compliant with the standards set by Hollywood studios for premium 4K UHD and early release content. It is offered together with Irdeto TraceMark forensic watermarking which passed ChinaDRM Lab’s inaugural security evaluation test last year.
The certification recognizes the robustness of Irdeto TraceMark and will enable content providers in China to monetize content offerings and build a 360-degree anti-piracy strategy around their ecosystem of content offerings.
Irdeto is a leader in digital platform security, protecting platforms and applications for media and entertainment, gaming, connected transport and IoT connected industries. The company’s solutions and services enable customers to protect their revenue, create new offerings and fight cybercrime.
With nearly 50 years of expertise in security, Irdeto’s software security technology and cyber services protect over 5 billion devices and applications for some of the world’s best-known brands. Irdeto is a subsidiary of multinational media group Naspers.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020