Movistar+ original “The Pier” to make world premiere at MIPCOM
PARIS – The Pier, Movistar+’s new original series from creators Álex Pina and Esther Martínez Lobato of previous hit show Money Heist (La casa de Papel) will have its World Premiere TV Screening at MIPCOM 2018.
The world’s entertainment content market MIPCOM takes place in Cannes, France from 15-18 October. The Pier will premiere at the Palais des Festivals on Tuesday 16 October at 6:30pm.
The eight-hour Movistar+/Telefonica original series in collaboration with Atresmedia Studios and Pina’s Vancouver Media, is currently shooting in Valencia and the surrounding spectacular Albufera National Park area through December 2018.
Álvaro Morte (La casa de Papel) stars alongside Verónica Sánchez (Morocco – Love in Times of War, Gran Reserva) and Irene Arcos (Under Suspicion). Beta Film handles all international rights.
Internationally acclaimed Spanish showrunner Álex Pina is due to be in Cannes to promote the series, along with lead cast Álvaro Morte, Verónica Sánchez and Irene Arcos.
The Pier is the story of high-profile architect Alexandra who, though already shattered by the suicide of her husband Oscar, is even more devastated when she finds he had been leading a double-life with another woman, Veronica, and their child.
Knowing she will either go insane or get to the bottom of the mystery, Álex approaches Veronica. She wants to tell her about the death of Oscar, but then decides to befriend her under a false identity to find out why Oscar, though sincere in his love for Álex, lived this lie. What really happened that fatal night when his life was taken?
“We are delighted to be hosting the MIPCOM World Premiere TV Screening of The Pier. This series underlines the dynamism of the drama sector in Spanish, and the ambitions of major companies like Movistar+ and Atresmedia,” said Laurine Garaude, Director of Reed MIDEM’s Television Division.
“We are more than happy that our partnership with Movistar+/Telefonica, Atresmedia and Vancouver Media enables us to present The Pier at the Grand Auditorium in Cannes – exactly the right stage for this truly exceptional thriller series. After the success of the world premiere of The Same Sky two years ago, we are looking forward to welcoming Álex Pina and the cast to present The Pier on the big screen,” commented Jan Mojto, CEO Beta Film.
The Pier joins Showtime’s upcoming series Escape at Dannemora in the line-up of World Premiere TV Screenings at MIPCOM. Ben Stiller, Executive Producer and Director of the eight-episode Escape at Dannemora, will be in Cannes for the premiere of the series, which stars Benicio Del Toro, Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), alongside Paul Dano.
- Zee and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. announce new co-production partnership 81 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Anime titles from Medialink Group’s Ani-One library to start streaming on Mediacorp’s meWATCH platform 73 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- SynProNize and ATV take Turkish drama series ‘Hercai’ to Pakistan 44 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Winsing Animation brings new content to MIPTV 42 views | posted on April 9, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020