SEOUL – CJ ENM (formerly CJ E&M)’s recent dramas and variety shows have achieved strong viewership in Korea.
Following previous season hits My Mister, Live, Youn’s Kitchen 2, and School Rapper, its flagship channels has successfully launched a new lineup including drama Mr. Sunshine and K-pop survival show Produce 48 for summer season.
List of CJ ENM’s recent hits follow below:
Drama (genre, premiered date, peak rating by Nielsen Korea)
- Mr. Sunshine (period drama, July 7, 10.8%)
Breaking tvN’s drama premiere ratings record, it has become one of the most anticipated blockbuster TV series of the year. It is written by screenwriter Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok who also worked together on CJ E&M’s mega hit drama Guardian: The Lonely and Great God. Starring world renowned stars Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri, Mr. Sunshine tells the story of a man who returns to his homeland as an American soldier after he left the country during the Shinmiyangyo (the United States expedition to Korea in 1871) when he was a child.
- What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim (romantic comedy, June 6, 10.5%)
A story about a good looking, arrogant vice president of a conglomerate and his struggles with his secretary Ms. Kim. After nine years of hard work, she suddenly announces her resignation. Its ratings have swept over all pay-TV channels in Korea since its premiere a month ago.
- Life on Mars (police procedural, June 9,1%)
It is a Korean remake of the BBC’s police procedural. A detective from a crime investigation team time wakes up confused in 1988 to find a trace of a serial murder case.
Variety shows (genre, premiered date, peak rating by Nielsen Korea)
- Grandpas over Flowers Returns (variety, June 29, 12.4%)
The hit reality travel series is about four legendary veteran actors over 70 to fulfill their bucket lists. After three-year break, the new season of their journey is back in Germany and Eastern Europe. It is also known as the original of the NBC’s Better Late than Never in the U.S.
- Produce 48 (music survival show, June 15, 3.3%)
Music channel Mnet’s renowned reality K-pop audition show. The new round of the series features K-pop trainees from Korea and members of popular J-pop girl group AKB48 to become the world’s top idol. The first teaser of their performance “Pick Me” has garnered over 15 million views on YouTube. According to Japanese TV magazine The Television, Produce 48’s recent episode aired on July 6 ranked as the top variety show of the day in Japan.
- The Great Escape (variety, July 1, 2%)
Jung Jong-yeon, producer of the two popular game shows – The Genius and Society Game, has returned with a new series about an escape room. Celebrity participants are locked in a building with several rooms every episode. To escape each room, they have to solve puzzles with hidden clues scattered around the spots.
A representative from CJ ENM said: “Our strategy is to introduce high-end original programming with fresh and innovative content every season. There will be many other new and returning lineups throughout the second half year.”
CJ ENM is Asia’s leading entertainment and merchandising company headquartered in Seoul, Korea. As of July 1 2018, CJ E&M has merged with CJ Group’s home shopping and e-commerce subsidiary CJ O Shopping to become CJ ENM. Its entertainment division has five main business units – broadcast, film (CJ Entertainment), music, live entertainment and animation.
CJ has been contributing to promote Korean culture around the world, through the company’s “one source, multi-content” strategy. As a trend leader in Asia, it has produced and distributed various popular content.
- Global Agency announces new sales for rom-com series ‘Daydreamer’ 9.4k views | posted on October 27, 2020
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 362 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 63 views | posted on October 26, 2020
- TBS, Sony Pictures Television sign global distribution and format agreement for ‘Time Is Money’ 54 views | posted on October 23, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020