SEOUL – Netflix has licensed the new Korean original drama Mr. Sunshine, a 24-episode series from the creators of the global hit series Descendants of the Sun, to premiere on Netflix around the world.
Mr. Sunshine, written by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok, will premiere exclusively on Netflix starting July 7, with episodes streaming on the same day of its Korean broadcast in the U.S. and Asian territories excluding Korea. The series will then premiere in Japan on July 8 and the rest of the world on July 19.
Mr. Sunshine marks the continuing partnership between writer Kim and director Lee, who created international hits Descendants of the Sun and Goblin. The series is produced by Hwa&Dam Pictures, one of Korea’s top drama production companies, and Studio Dragon, who teamed up with Hwa&Dam Pictures for titles including Goblin and Bravo My Life.
Based in Shinmiyangyo, the US expedition to Korea in the late 19th century, Mr. Sunshine tells the story of a Korean boy born into a family of a house servant running away to board an American warship, later to return to his homeland as a US marine officer. He ironically falls in love with an aristocrat’s daughter and discovers the dark scheme to colonise the country that he once ran away from.
Lee Byung-hun, who played Storm Shadow in the G.I. Joe series and Han Cho Bai in Red 2, takes on the role of the US marine officer Eugene Choi, while Kim Tae-ri who came into the spotlight with The Handmaiden, will play the aristocrat’s daughter, Go Ae-sin. Yoo Yeon-seok, Kim Min-jung, and Byun Yo-han also join the cast playing key roles within the story.
“We have seen so much passion for top quality Korean stories and the pedigree of a title like Mr. Sunshine is a significant step forward in building a strong Korean content library for our members around the world,” said Rob Roy, Vice President of Netflix Content Asia.
Studio Dragon is Korea’s largest scripted television production studio headquartered in Seoul, Korea. As Korea’s leading production house, Studio Dragon is devoted to producing and providing top-tier scripted content to viewers around the globe.
Studio Dragon is known for its high-quality content, including Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, The Legend of the Blue Sea, Signal and Stranger. Established in 2016, the studio is already expanding its influence in the global market through joint planning, production consulting with partners overseas.
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 49 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 40 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- Stone Village, BlackBox Multimedia partner to Adapt Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ 34 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 33 views | posted on November 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020