Hong Kong – PCCW Global, the international operating division of HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider, has come together with consortium members Amazon, Facebook, NTT Communications, PLDT and SoftBank to construct JUPITER, a high-capacity cable system that will connect Maruyama and Shima in Japan with Los Angeles in the USA and Daet in the Philippines, with a target ready-for-service date of early 2020.
The JUPITER network will deliver a capacity of more than 60 Tbps over a route of approximately 14,000km utilizing the latest submersible Reconfigurable Optical Add/Drop Multiplexer (ROADM) which employs Wavelength Selective Switch (WSS) technology, providing a greater diversity of connections and enhanced reliability for customers as well as optimised connectivity to data centres on the West Coast of the USA.
Bandwidth demand over the trans-Pacific route has more than tripled in just four years, making the timing of the decision to construct JUPITER crucial to the continued provision of cost-effective trans-Pacific solutions. Moreover, this demand trend is expected to continue with new, bandwidth-intensive technologies including Virtual Reality (VR), social media applications, video streaming, and gaming content growing rapidly in popularity. Mr. Marc Halbfinger, Chief Executive Officer of PCCW Global, said, “Consumers and enterprises continue to require significantly increasing amounts of bandwidth whether for their own applications, or for their interface with content providers, hosting companies and cloud services. The JUPITER network will play a crucial role in serving this increased demand across the key trans-Pacific artery.”
- Hong Kong FILMART Online to open on 15 March 81 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Lee Seung-gi makes K-drama comeback with ‘Mouse’ to be aired on tvN 35 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 5 March 32 views | posted on March 2, 2021
- Encore Singapore off to a flying start 30 views | posted on March 4, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020