Digital Television Russia discloses the future of digital market
Digital Television Russia (DTR) is growing fast both at domestic and global level – and this year, for the third time, it will attend the MIPCOM 2017. Meet Dmitry Mednikov, DTR’s Chairman, to find out what has been done up to now and what are the next steps of a strategy to become market leaders.
MIPCOM 2017, the world’s most influential gathering for media industry players, is scheduled from October 16 to 19, 2017 at the Palais des Festivals in Cannes, France – and Digital Television Russia, a regional media producer aiming to consolidate its international presence, knows it is “the place to be” to show its products and to forge strong bonds within the industry.
Owned by the Russian Television VGTRK and Rostelecom, OAO Digital Television Russia (DTR) has quickly become the leading basic and premium Pay TV broadcaster in its domestic market (with the 34.6 % share) thanks to a comprehensive platform for cartoons and factual entertainment offering 21 channels. Since the foundation in 2012, the company’s management has led a successful transition from a local production studio into a creative player on the international stage. Dmitry Mednikov, Chairman of DTR’s Board of Directors, explains to us the company’s path up to now and its direction for the future.
In the past years, DTR has put in place an extensive support network throughout all Russia by identifying several partner organisations taking care of different aspects of the TV industry in Russia: today, the group is formed by more than 1000 SMEs, among which there are larger service providers, research centres and leading animation studios. The most successful partnerships are the one with “Zero Plus Media”, the main player in the animation content licensing market, and the one with STV, the Russian leader in the retransmission of thematic satellite channels.
After building and nurturing the domestic ecosystem, we have turned our attention onto the export industry. Our export’s core grounds are the constant adaptation of the content for the local public, the promotion of the brand at an international level and the research of international and mutually advantageous partnerships.
We have indeed pursued international growth by forging partnership with fellow broadcasters in India, China and Brazil to facilitate the adaptation of the brands for the local markets.
Our trade with the Asian region in particular is increasingly prolific. We recently signed an agreement for the distribution of our animated content with EMTV, the largest media holding in Papua New Guinea and in July 2017 we attended the ChinaJoy International Digital Entertainment Expo for the first time. Moreover, on September 8 we signed two cooperation agreements with the representatives of Dazzle Interactive Network Technologies, a subsidiary of state-owned telecommunications company China Telecom specializing in the creation and promotion of mobile apps and games. The agreement marks the transfer of rights of the largest pool of Russian animated series, mobile games, and applications owned by Digital Television Russia to the Chinese company, which will kick off by the end of the year.
To become more competitive the management decided to diversify the offer to its customers and to explore the universe of interactive games and mobile services. On the one hand, in 2015 we kicked off the Interactive MOOLT project: our experts produce interactive video games and educational mobile apps for kids out of the most successful series we broadcast, such as “Be-be-bears” and “Paper Tales”. The video games and apps are focused on children’s learning process, have a high educational value and comply with the standard parental control.
- ViacomCBS consumer products bolster Asia team with new hires 60 views | posted on May 7, 2021
- Disney+ Hotstar set to launch in Malaysia on 1 June 48 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- TFC tops Comscore’s TV viewing engagement for Filipino networks in multicultural Asian households in the US in March 2021 44 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- Tencent’s WeTV now available on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 34 views | posted on May 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020