Livemint reported that India’s pay-TV industry is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.2% to hit $14.5 billion in revenue by 2021 compared to a projected $ 9.4 billion in 2016. By 2025, 70% of India’s pay-TV base is estimated to be digitised, growing from 93 million subscribers to 129 million from 2016 to 2025 in light of the digital addressable system (DAS) being implemented by the government.
According to the Information & Broadcasting Ministry, nearly 41 million set-top boxes have been seeded in Phase 3 areas and Phase 4 digitisation is due in December 2016. The government has completed Phase 3 of digitisation barring few states which have demanded extension in the deadline.
Many local agencies are not well educated on copyright matters, leading to relaxed enforcement on copyright infringement, even though the domestic copyright laws on signal piracy are good. Thanks to the cable digitisation programme, the government hopes to eradicate commercial fraud and under declaration. Online piracy is still very difficult to control. Regulation of OTT The local OTT-TV services are required to follow the same content code as cable TV networks but application to offshore OTT providers has not been tested. The Advertising Standards Council of India, a self-regulatory body, seeks to regulate advertisements in any media, including online media.
- Hong Kong FILMART Online to open on 15 March 81 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Lee Seung-gi makes K-drama comeback with ‘Mouse’ to be aired on tvN 35 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 5 March 32 views | posted on March 2, 2021
- Encore Singapore off to a flying start 30 views | posted on March 4, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020