Hong Kong- Celestial Tiger Entertainment (CTE) has announced that it has secured the first and exclusive pay TV rights to Stephen Chow’s The Mermaid as part of a licensing deal with Sony Pictures Television for CTE’s channels in Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore. The Mermaid is now the highest-grossing film of all-time at the Chinese box office.
The Mermaid is the tenth directorial effort by filmmaker and comedy superstar Stephen Chow.
In addition to The Mermaid, CTE has also secured two other Chinese blockbuster hits of 2016 for its channels: The Monkey King 2, starring Aaron Kwok and Gong Li, and From Vegas To Macau 3, the all-star action comedy sequel starring Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung. The Monkey King 2 and From Vegas to Macau 3 were the second and third biggest hits in China during the lunar New Year holiday respectively. The two films and The Mermaid helped propel the Chinese box office to over US$1 billion in February, surpassing the U.S. box office for the first time.
- A+E Networks Korea’s first Korean drama series ‘Backstreet Rookie’ hits international popularity 9,396 views | posted on July 31, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 95 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 88 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Raven Capital and Coconuts are teaming up for a slate of unscripted pilots from Asia 59 views | posted on July 31, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020