Hong Kong- Celestial Tiger Entertainment (CTE) has announced that it has secured the first and exclusive pay TV rights to Stephen Chow’s The Mermaid as part of a licensing deal with Sony Pictures Television for CTE’s channels in Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore. The Mermaid is now the highest-grossing film of all-time at the Chinese box office.
The Mermaid is the tenth directorial effort by filmmaker and comedy superstar Stephen Chow.
In addition to The Mermaid, CTE has also secured two other Chinese blockbuster hits of 2016 for its channels: The Monkey King 2, starring Aaron Kwok and Gong Li, and From Vegas To Macau 3, the all-star action comedy sequel starring Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung. The Monkey King 2 and From Vegas to Macau 3 were the second and third biggest hits in China during the lunar New Year holiday respectively. The two films and The Mermaid helped propel the Chinese box office to over US$1 billion in February, surpassing the U.S. box office for the first time.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020