San Francisco – Viki, the global TV site powered by fans, announced it has acquired Soompi, the world’s largest English-language online site providing complete news and fan discussions around Korean and Asian pop culture, in a deal valued at less than $10 million. With this acquisition, Viki expands its offering of top-tier Korean entertainment and news to its global audience of 40 million monthly users and will provide a greater space for fans to connect with one another. Soompi has doubled its reach in the past two years alone, amassing nearly 7 million users per month, and was most recently a division of Crunchyroll, the leading Anime subscription site.
“Soompi’s recent exponential growth underscores global fans’ changing tastes in popular entertainment, and we’re excited to fuel this growth even more,” said Tammy H. Nam, CEO of Viki. “Joining forces with the Soompi team enables Viki to kick-start our news and fan forum offering, starting first with Korean and with plans to expand into other vertical categories.”
In the near term, the two sites will continue to operate separately while integrating content, such as Viki videos in Soompi news posts and fan forums, and Soompi news into Viki show and celebrity pages. Soompi founder Susan Kang will oversee the Community and Publishing team at Viki, Inc. and will report directly to Nam.
“I started Soompi in 1998 as a passion project because I wanted to create a space for fans of Korean pop culture,” said Kang. “With Viki and Soompi’s shared core value of community, I feel like we’ve finally found our perfect home.”
- ViacomCBS consumer products bolster Asia team with new hires 60 views | posted on May 7, 2021
- Disney+ Hotstar set to launch in Malaysia on 1 June 48 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- TFC tops Comscore’s TV viewing engagement for Filipino networks in multicultural Asian households in the US in March 2021 44 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- Tencent’s WeTV now available on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 34 views | posted on May 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020