The television viewing experience has changed forever according to research released by IAB Australia. The research explores new ground in the ongoing dramatic shift on consumers’ television viewing habits and offers marketers insights into reaching audiences as connected TV ownership and multiscreening becomes more prevalent. According to the study, The Changing TV Experience: Attitudes and Usage across Multiple Screens, which was conducted by VisionCritical for IAB Australia, second screening is now second nature and that streaming content has very strong momentum. The report found that 71 per cent of Australian consumers’ multiscreen while watching TV on a daily basis, predominantly using their smart phone as their second screen. The data also showed that 70 per cent of those who have purchased a smart TV in the past three months are streaming content weekly or more often.
Worryingly for broadcasters scheduling sport and reality TV, the research found that these two formats do not necessarily hold the attention of consumer. Among multi-screeners just 37 per cent of those watching sport give their full attention to the TV; 38 per cent say their attention is on their second screen and 25 per cent say their focus is half and half. The results are comparable for reality TV views, with just 36 per cent giving the TV show their full attention.
The research suggests that marketers and publishers should take advantage of the second screen possibilities to deliver additional content to consumers related to the sports or reality shows being shown.
By contrast, consumers watching serious shows are more focused, with 61 per cent reporting that they given their full attention to news shows without multi screening; while 53 and 55 per cent watch only the TV for current affairs and documentaries.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020