Bermuda − ABS announced that it has selected Boeing Satellite International, Inc (Boeing) to manufacture the ABS-8 satellite. ABS-8 will replace ABS-7 at 116.1 degree East orbital location, and will also deliver significant expansion capacity for Asia, Russia and the Middle East. The satellite is expected to launch in 2017.
ABS-8 will be the third innovative all-electric propulsion 702SP satellite ordered from Boeing that minimizes the spacecraft’s mass and maximizes available payload. The spacecraft will have over 9 kW (kilowatts) of payload power and it will be equipped with 50 active transponders. ABS-8 will incorporate traditional wide beam coverage beams in C and Ku bands, a high-power ultra-throughput multi-spot Ku-band and a steerable high-power Ka-band beam payload configuration to deliver both performance and flexibility. This satellite will expand broadcast, data and enterprise services to multiple markets: the Middle East, Russia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and the South Pacific region.
“The procurement of ABS-8 shows our confidence and trust with Boeing on the all-electric propulsion 702SP platform technology. The prescribed satellite payload of C, Ku and Ka beams with wide beams and high throughput capacity would serve the government, mobility, telecoms, DTH and Rural broadband sectors,” said Tom Choi, CEO of ABS. “ABS is committed to continually innovate and improve the competitiveness of the FSS industry for the betterment of our customers”.
“The decision by ABS to order a third Boeing 702SP satellite is a testament to our customer’s confidence in the capabilities of this satellite,” said Mark Spiwak, president of Boeing Satellite Systems International, Inc. “With the innovative all-electric propulsion design, Boeing is able to maximize payload while decreasing overall satellite mass and cost.”
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 99 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment launches KIX on MultiChoice’s DStv in Africa 39 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Singaporean Tyen Rasif wins ‘Asian Dream’ 30 views | posted on September 23, 2020
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 28 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020