BBC Worldwide signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Shanghai Media Group (SMG) – an agreement that will expand their strategic relationship to include programme and format production, programme distribution and co-production opportunities. Under the agreement, BBC Worldwide will work with several of SMG’s subsidiaries, including Internet TV Service, BesTV, DocuChina, Dragon TV, Wings Media and Toonmax Media.
The MOU was signed in a ceremony that took place during MIPTV in Cannes with Wang Jiajun, Director General President representing SMG and Paul Dempsey, President, Global Markets, for BBC Worldwide.
Key areas of collaboration include:
- Extension of the CBeebies brand in China – exploring opportunities with BesTV, to broaden the CBeebies brand in China to beyond TV to include consumer products, e-commerce and marketing.
- Co-production opportunities – with BesTV, DocuChina and Toonmax Media exploring areas of co-operation in documentaries, factual entertainment and drama spaces including theatrical – for the Chinese and global markets. The first co-production output of a major documentary is expected to be completed within 12 months.
- Format production – with Dragon TV, focusing on the production of BBC formats for the channel, and ultimately co-developing original formats to take to the international market.
“We are delighted to be cementing our relationship with SMG by announcing this exciting new phase of our long term alliance and look forward to working together towards the exchange of expertise and creation of new business models across media spaces in both China and globally,” said Paul Dempsey, President, Global Markets for BBC Worldwide.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 303 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- BBC Studios licenses the scripted format ‘Doctor Foster’ to ABS-CBN 41 views | posted on April 13, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 40 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 35 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020