BBC Worldwide signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Shanghai Media Group (SMG) – an agreement that will expand their strategic relationship to include programme and format production, programme distribution and co-production opportunities. Under the agreement, BBC Worldwide will work with several of SMG’s subsidiaries, including Internet TV Service, BesTV, DocuChina, Dragon TV, Wings Media and Toonmax Media.
The MOU was signed in a ceremony that took place during MIPTV in Cannes with Wang Jiajun, Director General President representing SMG and Paul Dempsey, President, Global Markets, for BBC Worldwide.
Key areas of collaboration include:
- Extension of the CBeebies brand in China – exploring opportunities with BesTV, to broaden the CBeebies brand in China to beyond TV to include consumer products, e-commerce and marketing.
- Co-production opportunities – with BesTV, DocuChina and Toonmax Media exploring areas of co-operation in documentaries, factual entertainment and drama spaces including theatrical – for the Chinese and global markets. The first co-production output of a major documentary is expected to be completed within 12 months.
- Format production – with Dragon TV, focusing on the production of BBC formats for the channel, and ultimately co-developing original formats to take to the international market.
“We are delighted to be cementing our relationship with SMG by announcing this exciting new phase of our long term alliance and look forward to working together towards the exchange of expertise and creation of new business models across media spaces in both China and globally,” said Paul Dempsey, President, Global Markets for BBC Worldwide.
- The Asia TV Forum & Market and ScreenSingapore officially opens its virtual doors on 1 December 97 views | posted on December 1, 2020
- Viddsee is empowering Asian storytellers through meaningful content 79 views | posted on December 2, 2020
- TechStorm makes landmark debut in Taiwan with Taiwan’s Portico Media and ONLINE MEDIA’s 4gTV 67 views | posted on December 3, 2020
- Astro presents compelling vernacular content for December 49 views | posted on December 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020