Lyon, France – Euronews’ Supervisory Board has mandated the Chairman of its Executive Board, Michael Peters, to hold exclusive negotiations on an equity-stake acquisition by one of the Sawiris’ family’s companies, headed by Naguib Sawiris. With a €35 million capital injection, the company would own 53% of the international news channel.
To continue to lead in a highly competitive newsmedia environment, an ambitious Strategic development plan was set up in 2014 with the unanimous support of its longstanding shareholders. The Strategic plan, based on the heritage and strong European values of the channel, focuses on four areas: content, non-linear innovation, brandvalue and diversification. The shareholders agreed to the strong growth potential presented through the plan, whose implementation requires significant additional funds. Based on this conviction, the shareholders decided to open Euronews’ capital to an independent investor. Banque Lazard has been appointed to drive the search for a new partner from within the countries affiliated with the EBU. Amongst the huge interest received, the offer made by Naguib Sawiris has been selected as best suiting the entire scope of requirements.
“Throughout the past decade, Euronews has truly become a bridge between nations. On the basis of its European perspective, the channel has attracted increasing interest from countries neighbouring the European Union. This makes Euronews unique.” commented Michael Peters. “Today we want to accelerate our growth. The arrival of Naguib Sawiris would be a tremendous asset to Euronews, as this investment would allow a quick implementation of our development plan, while maintaining our European public mission heritage.”
“The public shareholders who support Euronews since over 20 years remain strongly committed to this unique media experience in Europe”, added Paolo Garimberti, President of the Supervisory Board. “We trust that the combination of public and private shareholding will be beneficial for the future of Euronews, as it has already been in the past with Générale Occidentale and with ITN.”
- HBO confirmed as official partner on ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’ spin-off ‘Miss S’ 46 views | posted on September 16, 2020
- Tata Sky partners with Accedo to develop the user interface of its Smart Set-top box – Tata Sky Binge+ 42 views | posted on September 14, 2020
- Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ number one on Netflix globally 36 views | posted on September 15, 2020
- ABP Network focuses on telling inspiring stories gleaned from across the nation 27 views | posted on September 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020