Airbus Defence and Space has successfully completed the initial in-orbit testing of ASTRA 2G and has handed over the control of the satellite to SES who will now validate the performance of its communications payload. Afterwards, it will begin operational service at its 28.2/28.5°E orbital location in order to provide next generation broadcast and broadband services.
The ASTRA 2G telecommunications satellite was launched by an ILS Proton Breeze M launcher from Baikonur, Kazakhstan, on 27 December 2014 at 21:24 GMT. Launch and Early Orbit Phase operations have been conducted from the Airbus Defence and Space spacecraft control centre in Toulouse. A series of manoeuvres enabled the satellite to reach geostationary orbit on 2 January, the solar arrays and antenna reflectors have been successfully deployed and the satellite has acquired final Earth pointing. All spacecraft functions are performing as expected.
Designed and manufactured by Airbus Defence and Space for satellite operator SES, ASTRA 2G is based on the highly reliable Eurostar E3000 platform. It carries 62 Ku-band transponders as well as 4 Ka-band transponders. It will provide next generation broadcast and broadband services to the UK and Ireland, Europe and West Africa. It had a launch mass of 6 tonnes, has a wingspan of 40m in orbit, and a spacecraft power of 13kW until the end of its 15-year design lifetime.
- Banijay Rights new sales structure in LATAM, Canada, and German-speaking territories 37 views | posted on January 25, 2021
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 35 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- A+E Networks® continues commitment to women in front of and behind the camera with ‘Women in Global Entertainment (WGE): Power Profile’ at virtual NATPE 2021 34 views | posted on January 22, 2021
- Rising Asia keeps the region prolific with diverse content 33 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020