CNN International’s editorial leadership and strength was recognised at last night’s 2014 Asian Television Awards in Singapore, with the network dominating the evening winning 5 awards.
For the second consecutive year, the network clinched the coveted Cable & Satellite Channel of the Year title, and was also named Cable & Satellite Network of the Year. CNN also won Best News Programme, Best Current Affairs Presenter and Best Documentary Series at the ceremony.
The Best News Programme title went to CNN flagship programme News Stream. Hosted by CNN anchor Kristie Lu Stout in Hong Kong, News Stream is a daily hard-news show that uses technology and social media to give viewers a deeper understanding of the day’s top stories.
Lu Stout was also awarded Best Current Affairs Presenter. The anchor and correspondent is among the network’s most popular Asia-based faces, and also fronts CNN’s monthly On China show. She has also led coverage of major breaking news stories for CNN, most recently covering the ‘Umbrella Movement’ pro-democracy protests from the heart of Hong Kong. This is the second Asian Television Award for Lu Stout during her 14 years with CNN International.
The CNN Freedom Project: Every Day in Cambodia, which exposed the horrors of child sex trafficking, was awarded Best Documentary Series. CNN’s investigation, spearheaded by human rights activist and Academy Award-winning actress Mira Sorvino, uncovered an underground system specialising in the sale of pre-pubescent girls. In the gripping documentary, CNN followed the story of three girls sold into sex slavery as ‘virgins’ by their own mothers. Every Day in Cambodia is part of the CNN Freedom Project initiative, which has been honored extensively for its ongoing efforts to bring modern-day slavery to an end.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 93 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 55 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 37 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020