Beverly Hills, California – Starz announced that its Emmy®-winning original series Black Sails, executive produced by Michael Bay (Transformers, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor) and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, producers on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Purge, and created by executive producers Jonathan Steinberg (Jericho, Human Target) and Robert Levine (Touch), will debut in January 2015. The ten-episode second season of the authentic high sails drama series follows the most feared pirate of the day, Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) and his men, and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island.
Black Sails season one set a Starz viewership record for a debuting Starz original series during its opening weekend in January 2014, established an average of 5.3 million viewers per episode, and is distributed in about 130 countries and territories worldwide. Starz also released a first look teaser image from season two, inspired by the Emmy®-nominated main title design.
Season two begins where we left off — The Walrus crew is stranded, with an army of Spanish soldiers standing between them and the precious Urca gold. And with their crimes against their brethren no longer a secret, Flint (Toby Stephens) and Silver (Luke Arnold) must join forces in a desperate bid for survival. Meanwhile, Eleanor Guthrie (Hannah New) struggles to maintain her grip on Nassau, as a new breed of pirate arrives in the form of Ned Low (Tadgh Murphy), a man for whom violence isn’t just a tool; it’s a pastime. As blood is spilled, and tensions mount, Charles Vane (Zach McGowan) must decide which he values more: Eleanor’s life, or the respect of his men. And unbeknownst to all of them, a prize of immeasurable value has already been smuggled onto the island; one whose discovery will alter the very landscape of their world, and force everyone in Nassau toward the ultimate judgment: are they men, or are they monsters?
BlackSails stars Stephens as the most brilliant and feared pirate captain of his day ‘Captain Flint.’ Stephens is an accomplished stage actor also well-known for his role in Die Another Day. New portrays ‘Eleanor Guthrie,’ a beautiful and determined young woman who runs the smuggling operation on New Providence. London-born New starred in the miniseries, El Tiempo Entre Costuras (The Time Between Seams), the feature Fuga De Cerebros 2, and most recently in Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning. Arnold portrays the classic character, ‘John Silver,’ in the years before his well-known feats. Arnold is a native of Australia, where he began working in television on series including McLeod’s Daughters, Rush and Rescue: Special Ops. He also went on to appear in the feature film, Broken Hill and most recently starred in the miniseries INXS: The Michael Hutchence Story. Rising star Jessica Parker Kennedy is in the role of ‘Max,’ a young prostitute with an eye towards advancement. Kennedy is known for her work in the television series, The Secret Circle, and has appeared in the films 50/50 and In Time. McGowan is featured as ‘Captain Charles Vane,’ a rival pirate captain to the brilliant and feared ‘Captain Flint,’ played by Stephens. McGowan is most well-known for his role in the series Shameless and will appear in the upcoming feature film Dracula Untold.
- Flame bids farewell to its founder John Caldon 61 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- U-NEXT enters licensing partnership with ViacomCBS for a selection of new series from SHOWTIME® to premiere in Japan 58 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- ‘Tales of Arcadia: 3Below’ premieres on DreamWorks on 1 March 53 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 49 views | posted on February 24, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020