Discovery Channel to air documentary on Everest avalanche tragedy
Los Angeles, California – Discovery Channel announced on April 24 that it will broadcast a 90-minute documentary, titled Everest Avalanche Tragedy, on May 4 that will air around the world in 224 countries. It will include unprecedented access and eyewitness accounts from the rescue and recovery efforts that took place after the avalanche struck the Khumbu Icefall, the area just above Mt. Everest base camp, during the morning of April 18, killing 13 and leaving three missing. Members of an NBC News team were at base camp as they prepared to produce Discovery’s live special, Everest Jump Live scheduled to air on May 11, when the avalanche hit. The special would have featured climber Joby Ogwyn’s attempt to make the first wing suit flight off the summit of the world’s tallest mountain.
“We were at Mt. Everest to make history, but instead we were there as eyewitnesses to history,” said Eileen O’Neill, Group President, Discovery, Science and Velocity Networks. “It is essential to tell this story and honour all the Sherpas who lost their lives.”
Everest Avalanche Tragedy, produced by NBC News’ Peacock Productions, will document the weeks leading up to the climb through the moment the avalanche struck the Khumba Icefall, one of the most treacherous parts of the mountain, and its aftermath. Cameras rolled immediately following, as blocks of ice plummeted down the mountain, making it the deadliest single-day avalanche in history on Mt. Everest.
The documentary will feature highly emotional and real time footage, capturing the mobilisation efforts of Sherpas and rescuers as they rushed to search for survivors. Through eyewitness accounts, viewers will hear from those who experienced this horrible tragedy and aftermath including sit down interviews with Joby Ogwyn; Expedition Leader Garrett Madison, who played a critical role in the recovery; Todd Burleson, president of Alpine Ascents International who lost five Sherpas; and other key members of the expedition and production teams.
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 193 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 113 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 104 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- ABP News lights up the weekends with a slew of fresh programming 45 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020